Dr. Duško Knežević was born on May 30, 1959, in Podgorica (formerly Titograd), the capital of Montenegro. He completed elementary and high school in Podgorica. He obtained a bachelor’s degree in Finance and Banking at the Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, and a Master of Science in Banking and Finance, also at the Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade. After defending with merits his doctorate dissertation ‘Legal and economic prerequisites of sustainability of the pension insurance system’ at the Faculty of Law, University of Belgrade, Dr. Duško Knežević was awarded a scientific degree Doctor of Legal and Economic Studies. He lectures in finance-related subjects at the UNION University.
Since founding Atlas Group 20 years ago in Montenegro, he has expanded the company’s range of interests. AG presently consists of more than 30 companies that include banks, finance, real estate, construction, brewery, tourism and media companies. In 2010, World Finance magazine voted AG the best financial group in Montenegro and Atlasmont Bank, a member of the Group, the best bank in Montenegro.
Major entities of AG include:
- AtlasCapital Financial Services Limited
- Atlas Banka AD Montenegro
- Montenegrin stock exchange
- Invest Bank Montenegro
- University Mediterran
- Atlasmont Fund (investment fund company)
- Atlas Life (insurance company)
- Atlas Penzije (pension fund)
- FinInvest Montenegro (real estate and construction firm)
- Radio Television Atlas Montenegro
- Meljine Helth & Tourism Complex
AG is majority owner of Montenegro Stock Exchange, one of two stock exchanges in Montenegro.
In recent years, AG has expanded the scope of its financial activities to the international level and now includes Atlas Capital Financial Services Cyprus. On the international level, AG is active in carbon and foreign exchange trading, as well as the management of private pension funds and provision of life insurance.
FinInvest Montenegro in collaboration with Capital Investments, a company owned by the royal family in Abu Dhabi, is completing a 180 million euro residential business complex investment in Podgorica, Montenegro’s capital. In addition, FinInvest Montenegro company stands behind a major health-tourism project in Meljine, on Montenegro’s Adriatic Coast.
Dr. Duško Knežević is the founder and president of the board of:
- University “Mediterranean” – the first private university in Montenegro.
- The Belgrade Banking Academy, the only one institution of this kind in Serbia and in the Region.
He is also a regular lecturer in finance-related subjects at the University UNION in Belgrade, Serbia.
As a young man, he played for several basketball clubs. His fledgling basketball career was cut short by injury. He then moved from player to referee, advancing in this regard to a federal-level referee in the former Yugoslavia.
In 1992, he became president of the well-known Red Star Waterpolo Club. Under his leadership, Red Star won the championship title in the former Yugoslav against its long-time rival Partizan. Four years later, as director of the Olympic Waterpolo Team of Yugoslavia, he led the team to the summer Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia, in the United States.
In 2003 he founded the first-league basketball club Atlas, which he directed and led to competition in the European Uleb Cup. He also served as a member of the Executive Board of the Basketball Union of Serbia and Montenegro (before Montenegro became an independent country). In 2004, he founded a new league called the Atlas Pils YUBA League, as part of an effort to revive Serbia’s then struggling basketball legacy. In 2005 he was president of Board of EuroBasket 2005 that has successfully organized European Basketball Championship in Belgrade 2005.
Papers, Articles and Books
- Fernando Diz, Hasan Hanic, Dr. Duško Knezević: “On the Black-Scholes Model and why Scholes and Merton won the Nobel Prize”, work presented in the Symposium Financial Innovations, November 1997
- • Dr. Duško Knežević, “Selection of Strategic Partner for Atlas Bank”, work presented at the Round Table “Privatization of Banks in Serbia – four years later”, Belgrade, 17 May 2005, printed for conference proceedings, Belgrade Banking Academy and Institute of Economic Sciences, Belgrade, pages 131-133
- D. Knežević, “Credit Insurance”, Belgrade Banking Academy Belgrade, 2007.
- D. Knežević, M. Jovović and I. Džaković, “Credit Insurance”, Sixth International Symposium “New Products in Insurance Market”, Association of Actuaries of Serbia and Faculty of Economics, Zlatibor 2008.
- S. Stefanović, D. Knežević, “Secondary Mortgage Markets and Instruments – Review of Experiences of European Union Countries,” conference proceedings from international science convention Banking Products and Services Market in Serbia, Belgrade Banking Academy, Belgrade, 2008
- Dr. Duško Knežević, “Businesses in the region must cooperate with foreign investors”, World Finance Magazine, edition September–October 2010